Kittery ME is nestled on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean and hugging its banks along the Piscataqua River, Kittery is a picturesque town in southern Maine that offers something for everyone. As one of Maine’s oldest incorporated towns, it boasts a rich history including its renowned naval shipyard and numerous historical sites. Visitors will also delight in shopping at our local outlets while they drink in stunning coastal views.
Since 1800, the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery has been a cornerstone of American defense. Boasting two centuries of continuous service and expertise, this shipyard is uniquely qualified to take on the extensive task of repairing and maintaining our nation’s nuclear-powered submarines; an ever-critical role for protecting national interests.
Kittery ME is a mecca for outlet shopping, boasting numerous expansive centres with an array of options to choose from. Whether you’re in the market for designer brands, outdoor gear or home goods – there’s something here for everyone!
Outdoor enthusiasts, rejoice! Kittery ME is the ultimate destination for your recreational pursuits. The Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge, Fort Foster Park and the Kittery Town Forest provide ample opportunities to explore nature. From bird watching to wildlife viewing or simply taking a stroll through magnificent landscapes – you’ll find it all here! So what are you waiting for? Pack up your gear and head out on an adventure in this beautiful corner of the world.
Kittery offers breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean, making it a perfect destination for travelers in search of sun and fun. Go fishing or whale watching on the rocky shoreline; retreat to one of numerous spectacular beaches nearby; explore secret coves with hidden gems – whatever you decide to do, rest assured your stay will be full of unforgettable moments!
Ultimately, Kittery is an enchanting town that boasts a captivating history, gorgeous scenery, and numerous attractions to explore.
Kittery, the earliest English settlement in present-day Maine, was founded by Sir Ferdinando Gorges in 1623. By taking its name from Mr. Gorges’ hometown of England – Kittery Court – it made a lasting impact on history. Utilized as a military supply center and small shipyard during the American Revolution, this coastal town went on to become an essential hub for fishing and shipbuilding over the course of two centuries; so much so that Portsmouth Naval Shipyard opened up here in 1800!
Situated in York County, Maine, Kittery lies along the southern shore of the state. A coastal town covering an area of 75.5 square miles and boasting 19 miles of coastline, it is bounded by the Piscataqua River to its south and east – with Eliot on one side and York on the other. Explorers will be delighted to discover that this little corner offers four separate areas: Kittery Point, Foreside, Center & Spruce Creek which each possess their own unique charms!
While the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and outlet shopping are two of Kittery’s most beloved attractions, there is a plethora of other activities to partake in. Here are some of the top options for visitors:
Fort McClary State Historic Site: A fort that was built in the 1800s to protect the Piscataqua River from enemy ships. Visitors can explore the fort and learn about its history.
Whale watching: Several companies in Kittery offer whale watching tours during the summer months. Visitors can see humpback, finback, and minke whales, as well as dolphins and other marine life.
Pepperrell Cove: A small harbor in Kittery Point that has several restaurants and shops. Visitors can watch the boats come in and out of the harbor and enjoy the waterfront views.
Kittery Trading Post: An outdoor gear store that has been in operation since 1938. The store has a wide variety of hunting, fishing, and camping gear, as well as clothing and footwear.
Apart from its many tourist attractions, Kittery also offers stunning beaches and parks that have become renowned among travelers. Popular spots include Seapoint Beach, Fort Foster Park, and the picturesque Kittery Town Forest.
Kittery ME History:
The picturesque coastal town of Kittery, Maine offers a glimpse into the past – from its humble beginnings in the 17th century to more recent times. Here are some enchanting highlights:
Early settlement: Kittery was settled in 1623 by Englishman Sir Ferdinando Gorges and was one of the earliest English settlements in what is now Maine. The town was named after Gorges’ birthplace in England, Kittery Court. Early settlers relied on fishing, farming, and trade with Native Americans for their livelihoods.
Shipbuilding: By the 1700s, Kittery had become an important center for shipbuilding. The town’s location on the Piscataqua River made it an ideal location for building and launching ships. Kittery was home to several prominent shipbuilders, including William Adams, who built the first armed vessel for the American colonies in 1775.
Revolutionary War: During the American Revolution, Kittery played an important role as a military supply center. The town was also the site of several skirmishes between American and British forces. In 1775, Fort William and Mary, located across the river in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, was seized by American patriots. The fort’s cannon were then transported to Kittery to be used in the defense of the Piscataqua River.
Portsmouth Naval Shipyard: In 1800, the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard was established in Kittery. The shipyard was originally used for repairing and refitting naval vessels, but it later became an important center for submarine construction and maintenance. The shipyard played a critical role in the defense of the United States during World War II and the Cold War.
Economic growth: In the 19th and early 20th centuries, Kittery experienced economic growth and development. The town’s proximity to Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and Boston, Massachusetts, made it an attractive location for industry and commerce. Textile mills, shoe factories, and other industries were established in Kittery, providing jobs and economic opportunity.
Modern era: Today, Kittery is a vibrant community that celebrates its rich history while also embracing the future. The town is known for its outlet shopping, beautiful coastal scenery, and outdoor recreation opportunities. The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard continues to be an important part of the local economy, and Kittery is home to many small businesses, restaurants, and cultural institutions.
Geography and Climate:
Set on the southern shore of Maine, Kittery is part of York County and boasts a unique geography and climate. Let’s explore this beautiful town in more detail:
Kittery has a total area of 75.5 square miles, with about 19 miles of coastline along the Atlantic Ocean and the Piscataqua River. The town is divided into four distinct areas: Kittery Point, Kittery Foreside, Kittery Center, and Spruce Creek. Kittery Point is located at the southern tip of the town and is known for its scenic beaches and historic homes. Kittery Foreside is the downtown area and is home to many shops, restaurants, and cultural institutions. Kittery Center is a residential area that has a mix of historic and modern homes. Spruce Creek is a rural area that is known for its natural beauty and wildlife.
Kittery has a humid continental climate, which is characterized by cold winters and warm summers. The town experiences four distinct seasons, with an average high temperature of 82 degrees Fahrenheit in July and an average low temperature of 12 degrees Fahrenheit in January. Kittery receives an average of 47 inches of precipitation per year, with the majority of it falling as rain during the summer months. Snowfall is common in the winter, with an average of 66 inches of snowfall per year. The town is also vulnerable to tropical storms and hurricanes, which can bring heavy rain and strong winds to the area.
Kittery ME Business and Economy:
The town of Kittery, Maine is home to a thriving economy with an expansive range of industries and businesses. Let’s take a deeper dive into the economic structure and business prospects that make this place such an attractive destination:
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard: The Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, which is located in Kittery, is one of the town’s largest employers. The shipyard is a major facility for submarine maintenance and overhaul, and it employs thousands of workers in a variety of trades and professions.
- Retail and tourism: Kittery is known for its outlet shopping, which attracts visitors from around the region. The town is home to several large outlet malls, including the Kittery Premium Outlets and the Tanger Outlets. Kittery also has a thriving tourism industry, thanks to its beautiful coastline, historic sites, and outdoor recreation opportunities.
- Small businesses: Kittery has a strong community of small businesses, including restaurants, cafes, boutiques, and specialty shops. Many of these businesses are located in the downtown area, which has a lively and vibrant atmosphere.
- Manufacturing: Kittery has a history of manufacturing, particularly in the textile and shoe industries. While many of these businesses have closed or relocated, there are still several manufacturers in the area, including a company that produces high-performance sailing gear.
- Professional services: Kittery is home to a number of professional service providers, including attorneys, accountants, and architects. These businesses serve both the local community and clients from outside the area.
Kittery’s economy is remarkably dynamic, boasting a combination of large and small businesses in multiple industries. Additionally, the location conveniently near Portsmouth, New Hampshire and Boston Massachusetts provides an extraordinary platform for business growth.
Kittery ME Attractions and Activities:
Kittery, Maine, offers visitors a wide range of attractions and activities, from scenic outdoor adventures to cultural and historical landmarks. Here are some popular things to see and do in Kittery:
- Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Museum: The museum is located on the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and offers exhibits on the history of the shipyard and its role in the Navy’s submarine fleet.
- Fort McClary State Historic Site: This state park features a well-preserved fort from the 19th century, as well as walking trails and picnic areas with beautiful views of the Piscataqua River.
- Kittery Premium Outlets: This shopping center features over 60 stores, including high-end brands like Michael Kors, Calvin Klein, and Polo Ralph Lauren.
- Whaleback Lighthouse: Located at the entrance to Portsmouth Harbor, this historic lighthouse offers tours and stunning views of the ocean.
- Kittery Historical and Naval Museum: This small museum showcases Kittery’s history and its naval heritage, including exhibits on shipbuilding and maritime history.
- Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge: This wildlife refuge is located just south of Kittery and offers miles of walking trails through salt marshes, tidal rivers, and sandy beaches.
- Outdoor activities: Kittery is home to several parks and outdoor recreation areas, including the Cutts Island Trail, Fort Foster Park, and Rogers Park. Visitors can enjoy hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, and more.
- Dining and breweries: Kittery has a thriving food scene, with many restaurants offering fresh seafood and locally sourced ingredients. The town is also home to several breweries and craft beer establishments.
With its unique combination of culture, history and outdoor attractions, Kittery has become a sought-after destination for both tourists and locals. Whether you are looking to explore the area’s rich historical sites or take in some fresh air while hiking through nature trails, Kittery provides an exciting variety of activities that appeal to all age groups. It truly is the perfect place to make lasting memories with friends and family!
Kittery ME Dining and Shopping:
From outlet shopping to a plethora of restaurants, Kittery, Maine beckons visitors from near and far with its wide array of attractions. Discover what makes this town so special with an in-depth look at the things it has to offer!
Kittery is home to several large outlet malls, including the Kittery Premium Outlets and the Tanger Outlets. These malls offer a wide range of designer and brand-name clothing, shoes, accessories, and housewares at discounted prices. In addition to the outlet malls, Kittery has a variety of independent and specialty shops, including antique stores, gift shops, and artisanal food markets.
Kittery has a thriving food scene, with many restaurants offering fresh seafood and locally sourced ingredients. Here are some popular dining options in Kittery:
- Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier: This family-owned restaurant offers fresh lobster, clams, and other seafood in a scenic outdoor setting.
- Lil’s Cafe: This cozy cafe serves breakfast and lunch, featuring homemade baked goods and sandwiches made with locally sourced ingredients.
- Black Birch: This gastropub offers creative, seasonal dishes made with local ingredients, as well as craft cocktails and local beers.
- Anju Noodle Bar: This restaurant serves Asian-inspired noodle dishes, as well as small plates and cocktails.
- Terra Cotta Pasta Co.: This Italian restaurant and market offers homemade pasta dishes, sandwiches, and salads, as well as a selection of gourmet foods and ingredients.
From the sumptuous to the economical, Kittery provides an array of shopping and dining options for all types of visitors. Whether you’re browsing through luxury boutiques or searching for a more laid-back eatery, this charming town has something that fits your needs.
Kittery ME Education and Employment:
Investing in education and employment is a vital part of life for the residents of Kittery, Maine. Here’s an in-depth look at what this town offers when it comes to educational opportunities and job prospects:
Kittery is part of the Kittery School District, which includes two elementary schools and a middle school. High school students attend Portsmouth High School in neighboring Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The Kittery School District has a strong reputation for academic excellence and provides students with a range of extracurricular activities and programs.
In addition to the Kittery School District, the town is home to several private schools, including the Robert W. Traip Academy, a public high school.
Kittery has a diverse economy, with a mix of retail, hospitality, and manufacturing jobs. The town is home to several large employers, including the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, which employs thousands of workers in shipbuilding and maintenance.
Other major employers in Kittery include the Kittery Premium Outlets and Tanger Outlets, which offer retail and hospitality jobs, and several restaurants and small businesses in the downtown area.
In addition to these larger employers, Kittery also has a growing number of small businesses and startups, particularly in the creative and tech industries. The town’s proximity to major cities like Boston and Portland makes it an attractive location for entrepreneurs and professionals.
Kittery is a hub of diverse job options for its residents – ranging from entry-level to technical positions. Moreover, the town’s education system offers ample preparation and support that assist students in achieving their professional goals.
Kittery ME Transportation:
Kittery, Maine offers many forms of convenient transportation for commuters and travelers alike. From buses to taxis, there are a variety of ways to get around the city or explore its nearby towns – let’s take a closer look!
- Car: Many residents of Kittery rely on cars to get around, as the town is located off of I-95, which provides easy access to other parts of Maine and neighboring states. Kittery also has several major roads running through it, including US Route 1 and Maine Route 236.
- Bus: Kittery is served by the Wildcat Transit, which provides bus service between the University of New Hampshire and the Portsmouth Transportation Center in New Hampshire. The C&J Bus Lines also provides service from Portsmouth, NH, to Boston and New York City.
- Bike: Kittery has several bike lanes and routes, making it a bike-friendly town. There are also several trails and parks in the area that are popular for biking.
- Walking: Kittery’s downtown area is highly walkable, with a variety of shops, restaurants, and attractions within easy walking distance. There are also several parks and nature preserves in the area that are popular for walking and hiking.
- Airport: The closest major airport to Kittery is the Portsmouth International Airport at Pease, which is located in Portsmouth, NH, just a few miles from Kittery. Other nearby airports include the Portland International Jetport in Portland, ME, and the Boston Logan International Airport in Boston, MA.
Residents of Kittery reap the benefits of a plethora of transit options, allowing them to navigate their urban home and traverse nearby attractions with ease.
Kittery ME Community and Events:
In Kittery, Maine the community spirit is palpable. An array of events and activities are hosted throughout the year that bring residents together in a meaningful way! So, let’s dive into what this town has to offer annually:
- Kittery Block Party: The Kittery Block Party is an annual street festival that takes place in downtown Kittery in July. The event features live music, food vendors, crafts, and activities for all ages.
- Kittery Art Association Show and Sale: The Kittery Art Association hosts an annual show and sale in July, featuring the work of local artists in a variety of media.
- Kittery Point Yacht Club Regatta: The Kittery Point Yacht Club hosts an annual regatta in August, featuring sailboat races and other water-related activities.
- Harvest Fest: Kittery’s Harvest Fest takes place in October and features live music, food vendors, and a variety of family-friendly activities.
- Holiday Events: Kittery hosts several holiday events throughout the year, including a tree lighting ceremony in December and a New Year’s Eve celebration.
Not only does Kittery host yearly events, but the town also features various community organizations and clubs that encourage residents to take part in activities, mingle with others who share their passions and support local causes. Examples of these include the Kittery Historical and Naval Museum, the Kittery Lions Club or even the Kittery Land Trust – all great ways for locals to get involved with their surroundings!
Kittery’s spirit of community is unique, with countless chances for residents to come together through the year. Whatever your interests – art and culture, outdoor excursions or simply meeting neighbors – there’s always something stimulating going on in Kittery!
Kittery ME Sustainability:
To foster an environmentally-conscious and sustainable lifestyle, Kittery, Maine has introduced numerous strategies to mitigate its ecological footprint. Here’s a glimpse of some of their initiatives:
- Renewable Energy: Kittery has installed solar panels on several public buildings, including the Kittery Community Center and the Rice Public Library, to help reduce energy consumption and promote renewable energy.
- Recycling: Kittery has a robust recycling program, which includes curbside pickup of recyclables and a drop-off center for hazardous waste and other items that cannot be disposed of in regular trash.
- Green Building: Kittery has adopted green building standards for new construction and renovations, with a focus on energy efficiency and environmental sustainability.
- Bike Lanes: Kittery has installed bike lanes on several roads in the town, making it easier for residents to bike instead of drive.
- Community Gardens: Kittery has several community gardens, where residents can grow their own fruits and vegetables, promoting local food production and reducing the carbon footprint of food transportation.
- Energy Efficiency: Kittery has upgraded its lighting and heating systems in several public buildings to reduce energy consumption and promote energy efficiency.
Kittery is devoted to furthering sustainability and reducing its ecological influence. Not only have the town’s green efforts assisted in guarding our planet, but they’ve also decreased costs while enhancing citizens’ quality of life.
Places To See and Things To Do In Kittery ME:
For a memorable experience, Kittery, Maine is the perfect destination. The vibrant town offers an abundance of attractions and activities that will make your visit truly extraordinary! Here’s what you can look forward to when exploring this quaint spot:
- Kittery Outlets: Kittery is known for its outlet shopping, with over 120 stores offering discounted prices on name-brand clothing, accessories, and home goods.
- Fort McClary State Historic Site: Fort McClary is a historic fort that dates back to the 17th century, with exhibits on the history of the fort and the surrounding area.
- Kittery Point: Kittery Point is a picturesque coastal village with a variety of historic homes, art galleries, and restaurants.
- Seapoint Beach: Seapoint Beach is a beautiful sandy beach on the coast of Kittery, with stunning views of the ocean and nearby islands.
- Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse: The Portsmouth Harbor Lighthouse is located in nearby New Castle, New Hampshire, and offers tours and views of the harbor and surrounding area.
- Whale Watching: Several companies in Kittery offer whale watching tours, where visitors can see humpback, finback, and minke whales in their natural habitat.
- Outdoor Recreation: Kittery is surrounded by natural beauty, with several parks and hiking trails nearby. Visitors can enjoy kayaking, fishing, hiking, and more.
- Dining: Kittery has a variety of restaurants, ranging from casual seafood shacks to upscale fine dining establishments.
Kittery is a fantastic destination for any and all interests, offering something perfect for every traveler. From shopping to history, outdoor recreation or just relaxing on the beach – there’s an activity in this small town suitable for you regardless of your budget! So come explore everything Kittery has to offer and make memories that will last a lifetime.
Kittery ME Healthcare Options:
Are you looking for medical care options in Kittery, Maine? Look no further! This area is home to an array of healthcare facilities that are available and accessible to both residents and visitors. Here’s a list of the numerous health-related choices offered in this city:
- York Hospital: York Hospital operates a satellite location in Kittery, offering primary care, lab services, imaging, and physical therapy.
- ConvenientMD Urgent Care: ConvenientMD is an urgent care center located in nearby Portsmouth, New Hampshire, offering walk-in medical care for non-life-threatening illnesses and injuries.
- Portsmouth Regional Hospital: Portsmouth Regional Hospital is a full-service hospital located in nearby Portsmouth, New Hampshire, offering a wide range of medical services and specialties.
- Wentworth-Douglass Hospital: Wentworth-Douglass Hospital is located in nearby Dover, New Hampshire, and offers a variety of medical services and specialties, including emergency care, surgery, and cancer treatment.
- Primary Care Physicians: There are several primary care physicians and family medicine practices located in Kittery and the surrounding area, providing ongoing medical care and preventive services.
Fortunately, Kittery has several healthcare providers to meet the needs of its residents and visitors alike. From urgent care centers to primary care physicians and hospitals, those that seek routine medical attention or specialized treatment will find a provider in Kittery or nearby towns without fail. No matter what your current health demands may be, you can rest assured knowing that quality healthcare is available right at your fingertips!
In summary, Kittery is a stunning town with an array of activities to partake in and a deep-rooted sense of community. The small coastal city has everything from seaside beaches and outlet shopping outlets to historical landmarks and adventurous outdoor excursions – making it the perfect place for anyone!
If you’re looking into moving here or require legal services, Boynton Waldron Law Firm stands ready to assist you.
Our attorneys have been providing knowledgeable and experienced legal services to clients in Kittery and the surrounding areas for many years. If you are looking for help with your legal matters, then do not hesitate to reach out today! We will be more than happy to assist you with all of your needs in Kittery.