We Solve Legal Problems

What kind of negligence system does Florida have?

| Jan 6, 2016 | Wrongful Death |

When you’re in a car accident in Florida, you need to follow the laws in respect to how you respond. If you’re hurt or someone else at the scene is hurt, you need to call for emergency medical care. Once the police, emergency workers, and potentially even the fire department is on the way, you can start worrying about caring for victims if you’re able.

If the accident has caused more than $500 worth of damage, you need to report it to the authorities. If you can, remember to move your vehicle off the road and to get anyone who is able out of the way of traffic. Don’t move anyone who has been badly hurt, since this could result in further suffering or injuries.

When it comes to cases of negligence, Florida has a comparative negligence system. This means that you can share the fault for an accident. In some cases, a person will be 100 percent at fault, but in others, one person may be 40 percent responsible while the other is 60 percent responsible.

How does it work? Consider this situation. If you’re speeding and a driver pulls out in front of you, both of you could be accused of negligent driving. You’d be guilty of speeding, which means your injuries and the damage that resulted from the crash were likely more severe than they would have been if you’d been driving at the speed limit. The other driver is also responsible for the crash, because he or she pulled out in front of you and caused the collision.

Source: FindLaw, “Florida Auto Accident Handbook,” accessed Jan. 06, 2016


Share This