Call 603-605-0204 For Legal Solutions

P: 603-605-0204

Modification Law

Post-Divorce Issues and Modifications

Many issues can arise after a divorce decree has been issued, ranging from one party not complying with the decree in some way to modification of the decree. There is a common misperception that once a divorce is final, there is no way to enforce the decree or no opportunity to change any part of it.

Modification Of Child Custody And Visitation Or Parenting Plans: A court order regarding child custody or parental rights and responsibilities regarding custody may be modified in New Hampshire so long as one of the following circumstances (set forth in RSA 461-A:11) exist, which are:

  • “(a) The parties agree to a modification.
  • “(b) If the court finds repeated, intentional, and unwarranted interference by a parent with the residential responsibilities of the other parent, the court may order a change in the parental rights and responsibilities without the necessity of showing harm to the child, if the court determines that such change would be in accordance with the best interests of the child.
  • “(c) If the court finds by clear and convincing evidence that the child’s present environment is detrimental to the child’s physical, mental, or emotional health, and the advantage to the child of modifying the order outweighs the harm likely to be caused by a change in environment.
  • “(d)If the parties have substantially equal periods of residential responsibility for the child and either each asserts or the court finds that the original allocation of parental rights and responsibilities is not working, the court may order a change in allocation of parental rights and responsibilities based on a finding that the change is in the best interests of the child.”

If you believe that your former spouse is not complying with the decree, you have options, including filing a petition for contempt and for enforcement with the court, based upon your former spouse’s refusal or failure to comply with the terms of the decree. Call our attorneys at Boynton, Waldron, Doleac, Woodman & Scott, P.A. to discuss your options.

It is possible to change or modify a decree when modification is appropriate. What you must prove to the court to succeed in a request for modification will depend upon which part of your order you want to modify. If you believe that a modification of your decree is warranted, please contact our attorneys.

Modification Of Child Support: Generally, if there has been a substantial change in circumstances or if three years have passed since the date of the most recent child support order, then either party has the right to request that the court change the child support order by filing a petition to modify it.

Prior to filing a petition, you will want to be informed of how potential changes in the law or in your particular financial situation may affect the child support amount. You will want to speak with our attorneys here at Boynton, Waldron, Doleac, Woodman & Scott, P.A. to ensure that the result you intend by requesting the modification is the one you can likely expect.

If you believe your court order should be changed, call us for an initial consultation to discuss your options.

Modification Of Alimony: Alimony or spousal support may be modified after the final divorce order, even in situations where the parties have expressly waived their right to seek modification of alimony. The court has the authority to modify alimony orders upon a showing of necessity due to changed circumstances.

Request A Consultation About A Custody Or Support Modification: To determine whether your circumstances warrant a modification of alimony (even if alimony was not included in the original divorce order or if you agreed to waive alimony modification), child custody or child support, please contact our experienced attorneys at Boynton, Waldron, Doleac, Woodman & Scott, P.A.

We represent clients in New Hampshire, Maine, and northern Massachusetts. Regardless of the legal problem, you can benefit from the experience that comes from a century of service to our community.

Contact us today and let us help you find a solution to your legal matter.